KENYA 360

The Kenyans Voice Outlet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  ChatChat  

Share | 

WERE FAMILY MEMBERS EJECT WERE WIFE WANJIKU FROM FUNEARL SERVICE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wangumakeri

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: WERE FAMILY MEMBERS EJECT WERE WIFE WANJIKU FROM FUNEARL SERVICE   Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:05 pm

Bid to eject Were widow from funeral flops

THE burial ceremony of slain Embakasi Member of Parliament, Melitus Mugabe Were was temporarily disrupted after his family physically ejected his widow, Agnes Wairimu from the service in the presence of Orange Democratic Movement leader Raila Odinga.

Wairimu and her one-year-old son were roughed up by angry family members and a group of youth who were angered by her presence at the funeral at Emasaka village in Budalangi Constituency. It was not immediately clear why the widow was being barred from the ceremony.

Hell broke loose when Wairimu walked in while carrying her baby and attempted to view the body of her husband at a round midday. It was at this juncture when enraged members of the family and funeral officials pounced on her and ordered her to leave.

The widow, who was the youngest of the late Were’s three wives however defied the order, saying that she had the right to bury her husband and that the family members had no authority to eject her from the home.“Leave me and my son alone. You have no right to stop us from saying bye to him (husband)” Wairimu shouted at the group of youths who tried to rough her up.

The tussle continued for about 15 minutes as more than 25 MPs led by Raila and his wife Ida watched in disbelief.

It took the intervention of Raila and MPs Fred Gumo( Westlands) and Dr Paul Otuoma (Funyula) to stop the youths from harassing the widow. They ordered the youth to allow her to attend the funeral service.

As the scuffle ensued, a section of mourners shouted: “ Aende! Aende! (Let her go, let her go away) as Wairumu, bolstered by Raila’s intervention, insisted on viewing her husband’s body.

Journalists, especially camera crew were not spared by the youth who roughed them up , while trying to stop them from recording the unfolding drama.

When calm prevailed, Wairumu and her son were allowed to attend the funeral but were not allowed to sit together with other family members.

Speaking to the Sunday Times, the widow said that she had earlier been ordered not to attend the funeral service.“Some members of the family told me not to dare set foot at the burial ceremony of my husband. They did not tell me why they were barring me from burying my beloved husband”, said a sobbing Wairimu.

She said just like other family members, she was seriously affected and touched by the brutal killing of her husband and wondered why she was being subjected to such a humiliation.

She said the late MP was her lawful husband and that she deserved respect like other widows during this moment of sorrow.

Addressing the burial ceremony Raila indicated ...........
http://kenyatimesonline.com/content.asp?catid=2&articleId=1037
Back to top Go down
View user profile

WERE FAMILY MEMBERS EJECT WERE WIFE WANJIKU FROM FUNEARL SERVICE
Page 1 of 1